Sunday, July 8, 2012
Deception
Things are going ok. Got my truck mostly fixed this weekend, the door lock mechanism on the drivers side is still broke, since it works fine manually it doesnt seem worth $300 to fix it. I had to pay $280 to get the window fixed though. I was driving along in 100 degree weather, and I rolled the window down for a minute while the a/c was taking some time to kick in, and then it wouldn't roll back up. That kinda helped motivate me. Anyway, the shop was ok and I like the mechanic.
Then I finished reading my 450 page German novel by Charlotte Link. I bought it a couple years ago, but never got very far with it. The first chapter seemed too disturbed, like a horror movie, I wasnt really up to reading it. Then I occasionally got bored and read another chapter. Finally I decided to finish reading it after I picked it up last week and was reading it pretty well without the help of my dictionary. Turns out it was a really messed up book with no happy endings, aside from a few characters surviving to the end and the killer finally being caught. I thought the relationships were really well written, they kind of drew me in here and there up until they all ended badly one way or another. I kind of hate the author for ruining everyone's life. That being said, the thought life of the characters was really well written, and I have to admire anyone who can create such believable characters. I am somewhat drawn in by the German language, it is one of the few things on earth I have a sense of reverence for, and maybe it skewes my appreciation for writing. I might flip through an English novel and I experience a painful sense of boredom and disinterest. Probably because most writers really do suck, but its hard to be sure. I read some seriously boring German poetry today, and kinda hated it, so that was some consolation. My taste in writing could be intact.
Trying to read more about the oil and gas industry, but I would rather read another German novel. I guess my career could last until I retire, but fossil fuels are being depleted rapidly, hopefully someone develops a new source of renewable energy and makes my job obsolete, but it would be better if they did so before I hit 40, at which point a new career would still be feasible. For now I'll keep plugging away in the unsustainable fossil fuel energy field, helping to strip the world of natural gas one drawing at a time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment